How to file a Short-Term Disability claim

Monday, May 2, 2016

Short-Term Disability is a benefit available when you are disabled as a result of a non-work related injury or illness, or unable to work due to pregnancy.  It is intended to provide you with some income while you are off work and, under most plans, continue to provide health coverage for you and your family.

To qualify for Short-Term Disability, you must be under the regular care of your physician and be actively employed and covered by TeamCare when you become disabled. To receive Short-Term Disability payments, the following procedures must be followed: 

  • Submit the TeamCare Short-Term Disability Claim Form-Initial Report of Disability. Download and print the claim form or call 800-TEAMCARE (800-832-6227) to request a claim form to be mailed or faxed.
  • The claim form must be completed by you, your treating physician and your employer/HR Department. Individual claim forms may be submitted to TeamCare.
  • UPS Employees must also call Hartford at 866-825-0186 to initiate your leave with UPS.
  • Completed forms may be faxed to 847-518-9757 or mailed to:

            TeamCare—A Central States Health Fund
            PO Box 5107
            Des Plaines, IL 60017-5107

Depending on the length of Short-Term Disability, once your disability payments begin you may be asked to submit a Short-Term Disability-Continuation Form along with physician updates. Once you download and print the claim form, promptly return it to avoid delay in processing your payments or extending your coverage. 

Finally, the amount of your Short-Term Disability and the number of weeks you receive benefits varies by plan. Here is more information on Short-Term Disability, or refer to your Plan Benefit Profile on your Member Dashboard